We are currently hiring!
ABC is a worker-owned cooperative committed to building a solidarity economy. We provide accounting + bookkeeping + consulting + financial education to cooperatives, social justice groups, nonprofits, freelancers, and small businesses. We love to facilitate workshops and believe that participatory learning is a powerful tool for social change.
ABC currently has 6 members and 2 contractors. We are worker-owned and collectively managed, meaning we all run the business and share in the surpluses or losses together. We are looking for potential members who want to provide supportive, values-based financial services to clients and contribute to our growing cooperative workplace.
The Role Candidate Bookkeeper/Consultant/Educator
Candidacy is a one year ownership track position that emphasizes direct bookkeeping to clients and the chance to co-facilitate workshops, support ABC’s organizational development, and receive training in accounting and cooperative governance.
Candidates receive a mid-point evaluation at 6 months and then again at one year to determine if they meet the requirements of a membership position.
Location New York City
ABC rents co-working space in Gowanus, Brooklyn. We also work onsite with New York metro area clients.
Position starts at a salary equivalent to $25/hr with potential for a $5/hr raise after 6 months.
Potential to become a member after 1 year with a starting salary equivalent to $35/hr.
Up to $400/month towards insurance premiums or other medical expenses from 3-6 months of employment; then access to union health insurance with significant employer contribution after 6 months
Dental and vision insurance after 3 months
25-35 hour work week
Flexible schedule and ability to work partially remotely
Paid time off (including self-selected holidays and vacation)
Pre-tax commuter benefits
Potential to become a member after the candidacy period (pay increase, professional development funds, patronage dividend/profit sharing, equal cooperative ownership share).
1 month paid sabbatical after 2 years
3 month paid sabbatical after 6 years (with the option to extend up to 9 months unpaid)
Client Work 65%
- Initial assessment
- Set up
- Clean up
Internal Work 35%
- Monthly general meeting
- Internal committee meetings
- Peer supervision meetings 2x/month
- Bookkeeping training/skills development as needed
- Organizational development (depending on interests)
- Outreach/Client development
- Policy Development
- Materials/Curriculum development
- Alignment with the Cooperative Principles and ABC’s Points of Unity
- At least 2 years of bookkeeping experience as a primary responsibility
- Proficient in inputting transactions, reconciling accounts, processing and entering A/R and A/P, recordkeeping, payroll, and financial reporting
- Able to independently manage and prioritize multiple projects
- Commitment to self-reflection and ongoing learning
- Clear, timely, and thoughtful communication
- Able to build trusting relationships with coworkers and clients
- Available to work in person in NYC
- Multi-lingual (especially Spanish)
- Experience in training, facilitation, and popular education
- Experience in organizational or business development
- Proficiency with QuickBooks Online (QBO)
- Proficiency with additional accounting software such as Xero, QB desktop for Mac and PC, FundE-Z, and GnuCash
ABC workers are unionized with Local # 1102 RWDSU/UFCW (Retail, Wholesale, and Department Store Union/United Food and Commercial Workers). Candidates become union members within their first 6 months of hire.
Send a cover letter and resume together as a single PDF with the subject “Candidate Application” to <email@example.com>. In your cover letter, please share your experience and skills, your interest in the position, and what about ABC’s model or points of unity resonates with you most and why.
ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As a cooperative committed to centering those most directly affected by systems of oppression, we strongly encourage applications from Black, Indigenous, and people of color, women, trans, gender nonconforming, non-binary, intersex, two-spirit, lesbian, gay, queer, and bisexual people, people with disabilities, people who are neurodiverse, immigrants, formerly incarcerated people, and people from poor and working class backgrounds.
This position will remain open until filled.
Location: New York City
Position: Candidate Bookkeeper/Consultant/Educator (25-35 hrs/week)
Ideal Start Date: January – February 2020